Monday, May 24, 2010

Listening in Music City

This past Saturday, 22 May, featured great listening pleasure for yours truly!

It began with an early trip to downtown, to return items to the central Public Library. Because I had a few minutes before doors opened at that imposing, Greek-architecture -- we're "the Athens of the South"! -- edifice I strolled over to Urban Market. This is an HG Hill grocery store next to the base of the L & C Tower (Nashville's first skyscraper). It's a very convenient location for getting a cup of coffee, and a breakfast pastry (or groceries).

While I was fixing myself a cup of joe -- adding Splenda and lots of creamer -- grabbing the pastry and getting in check-out line, to my great delight the sound system in Urban Market began playing "Listen to the Music" by the Doobie Brothers. It's always been my favorite Doobies song! And one of my fave from my Top Forty Pop-Rock listening days (early to mid Seventies).

As I unashamedly sang along, I considered how this was most likely my first hearing of "Listen to the Music" since I moved back to Nashville in A.D. 2008. I went on to think of what an oh-so-very appropriate theme song for Music City it would make!

Later, in the afternoon while driving around selling ice cream out of the truck, I was listening to the truck's radio -- but not just to music. Dear reader, the baseball team from Austin Peay State University in Clarksville (I was an adjunct instructor there off and on in the Nineties) was playing a season-ending double-header. Van Stokes who does radio play-by-play for the APSU Governors, is an old friend and former fellow church member. I enjoy listening to Van on the radio, and I enjoyed listening Saturday afternoon. Particularly since the Govs won both games handily, over UT-Martin. Indeed, the Govs won their final four baseball games, which lifted them from last place to seventh in the Ohio Valley Conference. But alas! the conference tourney only takes in the top six teams. So Coach Gary McClure and the bat Govs are finished until 2011.

However, the two other NCAA baseball teams I've been following ended season play with stellar records! The TCU Horned frogs finished 43-11, season champions of the Mountain Wst Conference. Closer to home, here in Nashville, the Vanderbilt Commodores won one and lost two against Arkansas, to finish 40-15 (16-12 SEC). This is plenty good en'uf for the 'Dores to go to the Southeastern Conference tourney which begins Wednesday in 'Bama!

Of course, I finished up my Saturday listening in typical fashion, by tuning in to the Grand Ole Opry show on WSM-AM 650. As always, the Opry was delightful, and I went to bed content.

No comments: