Monday, March 9, 2009

Go, Commodores!

Well, Spring weather is blossoming here in Music City! And this past weekend I was busy -- nothing unusual, as the reader should know from having read this or my other blog. But I certainly do wish I'd made time to follow the winter sport I love, basketball. And particularly university level basketball! And now that I'm back in Nashville, especially the basketball of my beloved grad-school alma mater, Vanderbilt!

As I found out just this morning, thanks to WSM's Charlie Mattos, my alma mater's teams were smashing this past weekend! Hi-hip hooray, Vandy! The Lady Commodores played Auburn yesterday for the SEC Women's Tournament crown. Auburn is higher-ranked than VU, but the ladies in Black & Gold beat the gals from the State to our south, for the umpteenth time. And thus claimed their sixth SEC crown. Only the mega-team coached by Pat Summit to the east of here has more.

And the Commodore Men ended their season with an SEC victory over Arkansas, finishing the season and heading into the Conference tournament with a three-game win streak! The guys haven't had a notably successful year, particularly in losing to the Vols both here and in Knoxville. But like my beloved NBA Spurs, they seem to be hitting their stride just in time for post-season play.

Go, Commodores! Men and Ladies, best of success to y'all!

No comments: