Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Body of Christ -- v. 2

Saturday, after the great blessing of being at a monthly gathering of my Emmaus buddies in delightful Bell Buckle, Tennessee, I slept well. And Sunday as usual I arose, had my quiet time of devotion and prayer, and prepared for a Sunday at church.

When I arrived at Eastwood Christian Church (Disciples) I retrieved my white ceramic Vanderbilt Alumni mug and poured a cup of coffee. The weather continuing to be delightfully Spring in its fullness, I strolled outside to sip, as I greeted others arriving for Sunday School. My class, which meets in Patty's Room, had a terrific discussion of the lectionary readings for the day. Seems we always have great discussions in this class. We have some good thinkers, some great hearts and some who are both!

Worship was awesome! I noticed that most attenders were dressed up, almost like this was Resurrection Day again. Two pre-teen boys even wore colorful dress shirts and colorful striped neckties. The choir sang a very worshipful anthem, "Always by My Side", which has connection with Fort Worth (where I lived from 1976-1979). Pastor Jay's sermon was as thoughtful and enlightening as his messages usually are, and Steven Gower, our Vanderbilt D-School intern who was here for his final Sunday, did a touching communion meditation.

And to top it all off, two folks joined the church officially as members. Beverly Nelson had started attending sometime last year, and was in the above-mentioned Sunday School class. Bruce Cate started coming to choir practice and singing tenor a few months ago. They both already were feeling like members of ECC(DC), so today just made it "official"!

No comments: